Saturday, February 5, 2011

OMG, I am stunned!!!

And I have to tell you, that is NOT easily done.   Tonight YouTube managed to do me in.  I discovered something that blew me away.

I was bored so I was Googling some stuff on Joe Cocker, who by the way is one of my favorite performers and found a posting of his song "Take Me Home".  It's a hell of a song where he sings his throat out in a duet with a female singer that has voice that rivals his.  Not an easy thing to do...  Kind of like that female back up singer on the Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter".  Only better.  So, I pull up the file and it's a studio recorded music video of them doing the song.  I was in heaven!!!   They sang the bloody shit out of that song.   I ain't ever seen a white girl sing like that.   EVER!!!  And it listed her name.  Bekka Bramlett. 

A quick Google search of her blew me away.  She's the only daughter of the late 60's - early 70's hit duo Delaney and Bonnie and is apparently one of the most successful studio/session singers in history.  It's easier to list who she hasn't backed up or toured with in her career.  Hell, in the early 90's she actually replaced Stevie Nicks in Fleetwood Mac for two years!!!  That's not an easy feat!!!  I've listened to this woman in the "background" for more than twenty years, have had her voice blow me away and not had clue who in the hell she was.  If you happen to have a copy of Jonny Lang's first CD she's the powerhouse backing him up on "Lie To Me".  This woman has a voice that rivals Iquazu Falls.  Bloody amazing.  And she has been recording since she was 5 years old.  Yes, I said 5 years old!!!  I guess when you grow up in a house where Eric Clapton,  Jimi Hendrix,  Tina Turner,  the Rolling Stones and George Harrison regularly hung out something just had to rub off...

I managed to find a few more things of her on  YouTube.  Again, bloody amazing!!!  You gotta Google this voice!!!  You'll be glad you did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment