Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Mexicanos At Octopus Car Wash LOVE Me!!!

OK, it's the middle of May, the snow is actually finally gone, it's rained a few times and the last of the road salt has FINALLY washed away so I decided it was safe to get the car washed and detailed.   Off to Octopus!!!

Until a couple of years ago all of the employees there were Huber Law losers.  Now they are all from Mexico.  Which, BTW, with me is no problem because they do a better job in my opinion.  And I tip them better.

My car is a bit strange.  I have turned it into an amusement park ride.  It's "accessorized" shall we say.  It's Bucky Badger red and just screams gayer than springtime!!!  I have a Katrina Day of The Dead figurine hanging off of  the mirror, a Virgin de Guadalupe air freshener hanging off of the lighter, an official Chiva's logo covering the center of my tachometer, a Chiva's key ring hanging off the radio knob, a Chiva's thingey-bob on my key ring, a foldable Chiva's windshield cover in the backseat and a license plate frame from a Dodge dealership in West Covina, CA.  Oh, yeah, and the stereo is always set to 1480 AM, "La Movida", the local Spanish language station.  What can I say, in my heart I am a gringa from south of the border...

So, I get out of the car and start to walk inside to pay.  I hadn't even made it to the door when I hear the guy who is starting to vacuum my car yell "Hey, Senor!  Chiva's ROCK!!!" as he gave two-thumbs up.  I gave him a dollar.  Then as I watched the next guy drive my car off of the tracks after it was washed I notice he is rocking out to "La Movida" and crossing himself to my air freshener.  OK, I'm inside the glassed in waiting area watching this and when he opens the car door I can tell he has the stereo CRANKED.  Then, the two women who are drying off the outside of my car start dancing along with the music.  I giggled.  When they finally get done with my car they all start looking around for the 19 year old Mexican kid who must own this car.  And they're confused as hell because all they see is a 57 year old gringo in flip-flops wearing a baseball cap that says "Bucerias" on it.  As I walked out to get my car the three of them go all deer in headlights on me.  Then I get the "¿Senor?  ¿Chiva's?"  "Si!" I reply, "CHIVA'S!!!"  Thumbs up, all around!!!  I gave them $5 and hit el carretara as they say.  I am now an honorary Mexican!!!  From now on you may all call me "Rosalinda"...

No comments:

Post a Comment