Thursday, February 20, 2014

I AM A MUTT OF AMAZING DISTINCTION...

Yeah, I'm a Heinz 57.  I have more genes in me than I know what to do with.  I am an amalgamation of races and creeds.  And I love it.  On my mother's side I am both Northern and Southern European.  On my father's side I am Northern European and Native American.  Yes, I am a mutt.  And I wear that badge proudly.  Hey, it ain't easy being an American...

My paternal great-great grandmother was a full blood Menominee Sioux  from northern  Minnesota.  Yeah, the Sioux Nation.  We're still not sure if great-great grandpa John and great-great grandma Elisabeth were ever legally married (this country had some really strange laws back then) but they homesteaded 40 acres of prairie in southern Illinois, built a sod house and raised a family.  One of their daughters was my great-grandmother.  Her name was Emma.  She married a crazy man named Henry.  They had two sons.  One named Glenn.  He was my grandfather.  He married a woman who's name was Vena.  Her mother was full blood Cherokee from the Carolinas.  Her name was Susie.  And she warmed my heart for the short time that I knew her.  She was statuesque and gracious .  A heart of gold.

OK, here's the truly strange part.  I've done a bit of research.  On my mother's side there is a very good chance that I am a descendant  of one of the founders of Jamestown.  Oh lord.  I sat back in my chair and just went pale.  Holy shit.  HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

Either way, it doesn't matter.  I'm me.  And I'm an American.  I have genes that go back generations.  Some I have known, some I have not.  Their blood runs in my veins and I am proud.  Damned proud!

Sometimes the best things you can find are the mutts at the rescue shelter....

No comments:

Post a Comment