Monday, April 7, 2014

GRANDMA'S KOOL-AID GLASSES...

I am a child of the South.  Born in Arkansas, don't ya know.  I come from a long line of shallow end of the gene pool Southerners.  Both sides.  Very inbred.  Hell, I'm surprised I don't have eleven fingers...

I spent many wonderful summers in southern Illinois with my maternal grandparents.  Yeah, I know southern Illinois isn't exactly the South but if there is biscuits and gravy on the table you are indeed in the South.  Front porch "gliders", side yard swings in front of hollyhocks and "burnin' barrels".  Yeah, that's the South.

One of my fondest memories as a child was having grandma give me a glass of Kool-Aid in an aluminum glass and sitting down at the kitchen table and snagging a couple of pieces of left over bacon that were always left laying there on a plate.  The glasses came in six different colors.  She would let me pick which color I wanted.  I picked a different color everyday just because I could.  It made the Kool-Aid taste better.

Several years ago some very good friends of ours offered me some glasses that they did not need.  I took one look at those things and damned near crapped my pants.  Aluminum glasses in six different colors.  Still in the plastic wrappers.  Oh, sweet goddess, my mouth dropped.  Exact replicas of grandma's Kool-Aid glasses.  I snagged those things in a heartbeat!!!  They now set proudly and predominately in my cupboard next to the coffee cups.  Every time I open the doors and see them I am instantly transported back to a simpler time.  Homemade cookies.  Fizzie's.  Bosco.  Front porch gliders.  And a mayonnaise jar full of lightin' bugs on a warm, humid summer night.

Those glasses make my pulse race and my heart sing.  Grandma's still with me...  And I tap dance in her memory!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment