Sunday, June 29, 2014

I'M IN HEAVEN!!!

As you know by now, I'm a produce whore.  Give me fresh seasonal stuff and I will tap dance and play a fiddle on your roof. I come from a long line of farmers and gardeners who knew what they were doing.  I grew up with so much fresh, home grown stuff it hurt.  I loved it.  Yeah, good times and good eats...

It is now late June and the bing cherries are coming in from Washington state.  Dirt cheap.  The stores are overrun with them and I am buying them by the bag full.  It's fucking wonderful!!!  In about two weeks the ones from 'sconsin will be hitting the market.  Again, fucking wonderful!!!  I am addicted to these things.  They are sort of like my own personal form of crack.  I dearly remember grandmas front porch with a bowl full of these things, chowing down and just spitting pits into the petunias.  Yeah, really good times.

I have so far destroyed two Polo shirts because I'm pretty much a messy eater.  OK, I'll admit it, I drool a bit.  Food is my drug of choice and I take no prisoners.  It's not pretty.  Sea Squirt just sort of sets back in horror and watches me make a mess of myself.  Hey, I make no excuses...  Don't even ask how many shirts I laid waste to with last months fresh strawberries.  It's actually kind of sad.  If food were a china shop then I would definitely be the bull.  Sea Squirt has just had to sit back and watch me lay waste to acres of fabric.  Again, kind of sad...

Next month gets really fun though.  Concord grapes start coming into season..They're heavenly.  Trust me, if I could figure out a way to freebase those things I'd be doing it!!!  Food and I have truly strange relationship...And they stain like nothing you can possibly imagine.  Hell, by the time my birthday rolls around I'm going to be completely purple. Head to toe.  And there may not be a wearable piece of clothing in the closest.  I love it.  And then the local corn crop starts to show up...  Ain't nothing more fun than a lap full of melted butter.  Trust me on this one, I do indeed know what I'm talking about.

Well, now... me and corn have special bond.  Sort of like the one that I have with potatoes.  It's a weird addiction.  Hell, I'll tap dance with both of them.  I have so many butter stains on my clothes it hurts.  I only eat corn from a local farm here, it's freaking heavenly.  I buy it by the bushel full and pack the freezer full of it.  Yeah, it's that good.  And then I spend the rest of the year just dropping it all over myself.  Life is good.. Yeah, I eat like a pig...  yep, smile on my face!!!

I count myself lucky.  I live in a part of the country that is full of farms, farmers, rich soil and people that know what to do with it.  To them, I bow.  Keep it going.  You feed my belly, you keep me going  and you make me sing!!   Thank you for the goodies  THANK YOU!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment