Friday, July 8, 2011

Goodbye, Betty, Bye-Bye...

Betty Ford was undoubtedly my second favorite First Lady of all time.   She had style, grace, a wonderful sense of humor  and more chemical addiction problems than Guns and Roses.  She set some precidents.  She was the only First Lady to be Second Lady whose husband was never elected President.  She was the shortest serving First Lady in our nations history.  Several hours ago she passed away at the ripe old age of 93.  My god, 93..

She was our very first First Lady to speak openly about abortion rights, women's rights, put herself into spin-dry and start a center for rehabilitation that to this day bears her name.  Hell, she helped dry out Dame Elizabeth.  Betty, even booze and pills couldn't slow you down.

She was married to the most klutziest President we have ever had.  He fell down more stairs than she did.  I loved them both with all of my heart.  Yes, I actually voted for him in 1976.  That's the only time I have voted for a Republican...

When Betty went public on something she did it big time.  In headlines.  In VERY bold type.  Booze.  Pills.  Breast cancer.  You name it, she was so public it hurt!!!  You go, girl!!!

Betty, you were, and will always be my hero.  Thanks to you, we are a kinder and gentler nation.  Travel safe my dear.  And keep Gerry away from the stairs, he's not good with those things...

No comments:

Post a Comment