Saturday, November 16, 2013

OH, CRAP!!!

Twenty years and hand full of months ago I moved to 'sconsin.  Platteville to be precise.  Oh, just stop laughing. 195 Virgin Avenue to be exact.  Again, just stop laughing.  My backyard connected to an alley that led down to the highway, one of the main drags in town.  If you turned right at the highway you hit one of the two stoplights that the town had.  If you crossed the highway you pulled into the Culver's parking lot.

Aah, Culver's.  Back then they were a 'sconsin-based fast food chain.  Today they are national.  I had never heard of them until I moved here.  I was soon to be amazed.  This place blew me away.  My new next door neighbors turned me on to it.  I became addicted within seconds of walking in the door.  We're talking MAJOR burger joint here!  And frozen custard desserts of an amazing assortment that changed on a daily basis.  The first time I tried the caramel cashew nut sundae I was hooked.  Yeah, I knew this was my kind of place.  Their butter-burgers are to die for.  As are their onion rings.

Over the last 20 years they have grown to national status and range.  And with good reason.  They really are that good.  They actually publish a calendar that lets you know what sundae they will be featuring on a daily basis.  I love that.  Yes, I am a frozen custard whore.  Hey, it's 'sconsin.  And I love that too.

I fondly remember playing croquet in the back yard and knocking balls down the alley just so we could get closer to Culver's.  I remember chasing one of the dumbest Basset Hounds I have ever owned down the same alley as he "galloped" towards the highway leading us to Culver's.  Lord, that dog sure did love a butter burger.  And frozen custard.  Yeah, my kind of dog...

Over the last 20 years I have frequented Culver's.  I have shared, been subjected to and been slammed with the best and worst of news there.  I found out that one of my best friends was pregnant.  I watched the O.J. Simpson low speed chase.  And I have even watched the breaking news coverage of a tsunami.  Yes indeed, I hold this place dear to my heart.  Ain't nothing better than some tv screens and a butter burger...

Last night the Culver's in Platteville caught fire and pretty much burnt to the ground.  This pretty much took out the intersection of Virgin Avenue and Highway 151.  I can not imagine something more sad.  In the last 18 years I have only been back to Platteville a handful of times, just to do some banking stuff but I have always stopped at that Culver's for lunch.  Yeah, traditions die hard.  As do the memories of a galloping Basset Hound that didn't have the good sense that god gave a toothpick.  And good friends that taught me what frozen custard was all about.  And croquet in a large back yard in a small town.

I have truly been blessed.  With good friends, amazingly dumb dogs, alleys, butter burgers and frozen custard.  Yet, a small town has been robbed of an icon.  I can not imagine the loss.  My heart sinks...

With all of my soul I hope that they rebuild, bigger and better than ever.  And with an extra onion ring or two in every order just for good measure.

Aah, Culver's....  Yeah...

No comments:

Post a Comment