Tuesday, November 12, 2013

OH, IN THE NAME OF MUTHA-FUCKIN' MEATLOAF!!!!

I am basically a normal and stable kind of person.  Stop laughing, I can hear you.  But you know what I mean.  I am reliable.  I am trustworthy.  I WILL be accountable to my promises. Push come to shove (sorry, that is an American English thing) I will grab a shovel and dig you out from the ruin, the wreckage and the rubble.  It's just who I am.  A hand has come down into my deep dark well and pulled me out more than once.  I am thankful for that.  And I pay it forward.  Thank god for a hand in the darkness because it's better than chocolate.  And there just isn't anything better than chocolate.

My better half, Sea Squirt as I like to call him, is up to his tits in the job from Hell.  He has a boss that I can only describe as Hitler.  Yes, I actually said that.  Hitler.  And you know that I don't use that name lightly.  I wouldn't work for that shithead for more than half a nano-second before someone was required to speed dial 911. Sea Squirt's work environment is nightmarish.  To see him come home after work, broken and battered just crushes my soul.

I grew up in a family that owned and ran their own businesses.  Many of them.  I ran my own businesses.  Hell, I used to be a corporate suit for a major retailer.  I learned a long time ago that you are only as good as the people that are underneath you.  They are indeed the ones who keep your inflatable life raft afloat.  Without them you just ain't got a snowballs chance in hell.  To keep your employees battered and bruised is so fucking unacceptable to me it hurts in ways I can't even describe.  Even in my worst corporate meltdowns I never turned on those who worked under me.  We were always a team.  Yes, a team.  I defended them. And I willingly stood in the cross-hairs and took the hit myself.  Yes, I am indeed a team player.  And I can still hold my head high and look at myself in the mirror.  And I thank the Fates for that privilege on a daily basis.

As a boss I was never an asshole.  Demanding?  Yes.  Get it done?  Yes.  I want it yesterday?  Yes.  But I was always more than willing to roll up my sleeves and jump into the deep end to help get it done.  If my crew worked late then so did I.  And when we finally pulled it off then we all got credit for it.  I made sure of that.

When the hell did corporate America sink to this level?  When did employees become no more than chattel?   When did the concept of respect get tossed out of the sun-roof?  And when the bloody hell did the powers that be give an employer the right to treat workers like something less than shit and openly rage at them???  And get away with it!!!

I am angry.  I have a knife.  Your raft is inflatable.  Not a good match...



No comments:

Post a Comment