Monday, April 22, 2013

LADIES AND GENTELMEN, MR. HAVENS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING...

OMg, Richie Havens was amazing.   The right voice, the right thoughts, the right place at the right time.   America was knee-deep in shit and desperate to hear something true.

Today America lost a musical icon.  And a political icon.  A man of incredible insight into just how "human" we can be.  Or can't be.

He had a voice like sand paper.  Fine sand paper.  INCREDIBLY FINE SANDPAPER!!!   He couldn't play more than four chords to save his life.  But when you put a bass player, a lead guitarist and conga drum behind him that stage just fucking kicked ass!!! 

He helped define part of my generations social and political views through his music and his actions.   No one sang "Here Comes The Sun" the way he did.  Not even George Harrison and he's the one who wrote it. 
Richie Havens had me tapping my fingers on the steering wheel late at night more times than I can remember.

You, my dear sweet man, were an American I was truly proud of.

You were the opening act at Woodstock.  And you opened it with "Here Comes The Sun".  'nough said...

Travel safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment