Friday, June 21, 2013

NOTHING IS MORE FUN THAN WATCHING A CELEBRITY DO A CRASH AND BURN!!!

Let me start by stating that I never was a fan of Paula Deen in the first place.  I don't have any of the kitchen products that she endorsed, I didn't buy any of her numerous cookbooks and I didn't watch her show.  I think it was the whole celebrity chef thing that turned me off.  I just don't see any sense in that.  Although I do have to say that her recipe for beer battered deep fried macaroni and cheese rates up their with Galileo and Einstein.   It's brilliant.  I'm surprised I lived so long without that.

Anywho, the last 36 hours in the life of this woman have been entertaining as hell.  Oh my stars, she has dug herself a hole so deep it hurts.  She is a train wreck.  In the middle of a forest fire.  During an earthquake.  In the middle of a tornado with REALLY big hail..  With the measles.  And a tsunami about half a mile offshore.  With a little bit of that Jim and Tammy Baker video tossed in.  I just love it when the mighty take a nose dive.

OK, in case some of you out there don't know of Paula Deen (hey, I got readers in Romania.  Yeah, she's famous but she ain't that damned famous.) let me fill you in in a nutshell.  She's a celebrity chef with her own TV show, owns a couple of restaurants, licenses her name to a number of cooking utensils, publishes cookbooks and has lured way too many people into her nefarious web of  cholesterol and grease.  Hey, don't get me wrong, I love those last two things with what is left of my heart but I'm not going to join a cult because of it.  Oh, yeah, and she's from the American "South".

To my one faithful reader in Romania, let me explain.  The American "South" is geographical region of this country..  It has a history.  A damned sad history.  In 1860 those states seceded from the United States, declared their own country and we were plunged into a nightmare called The Civil War.  Five years of unbelievable carnage.  Over what?  Slavery. Yeah, slavery.  The "South" wasn't about to give it up.  This country literally got torn in half.  And we lost a President to an assassination.  I myself am actually from the "South" originally.  I was not raised there but I certainly had more family there than you shake a snake at.  This country still has a great divide in it because of what happened 150 years ago. That being said, let's get back to the meltdown...

Yesterday a story hits the media about Paula Deen.  A former employee of hers has brought charges that she was repeatedly subjected to racial slurs, harassment and made the butt of racially themed jokes.  Guess what?  The employee is African American.  Yeah, you can just see where this train wreck is going, can't you???  Yep, the n-word.  (As an aside to my reader in Romania, the "n-word" is not a good word here.  It stands for "nigger".  That's what slaves used to be called.  It's dehumanizing, soul killing and degrading.  It's ugly.  I grew up with relatives that used that word freely.  Openly.  To peoples faces.)  At any rate, this story mushroomed.  What does Paula do?  Panic.  And start imploding.  Publicly.  Beautiful, I love it!!!  Late last night she posted a teary "explanation" on her website, which was yanked off an hour later.  This morning a new "apology" is up on her website.  And is equally as smarmy as the first one.  She is groveling at the moment.  She is asking for forgiveness.  She wants to learn from this.  BITCH, you just admitted guilt!!!  I have not seen a performance that panicked since Nixon resigned!!!  And it only gets better...

An hour later, literally at the last minute, she blows off a one-on-one interview with Matt Lauer on The Today Show who was well prepared to sink his canines into her jugular vein.  He was not happy and he let it be known on air.  Here's the kicker...  The Food Network Channel has just announced that they will not be renewing her contract with them.  They have already yanked her off of their website.  She has been culled from the herd.  I can't wait to see what at least three store chains that I know of do with her products. 

It never fails to amaze me just how deeply stupidity can actually flow.   To empower yourself to judge any person by WHAT they are instead of WHO they are shows just how little grey matter you have..

Sorry, Paula, I'm not accepting the "apology".  You got caught red-handed and dug your own hole...

No comments:

Post a Comment