Saturday, July 5, 2014

HOLLYHOCKS...

I am still trying to recover from what I refer to as an "Alice D. Flashback".  I was laughing so hard that Sea Squirt had to pick me up off of the floor.  For the second time this week I was transported back in time more than half of a century.  Once again, it was delicious...

A very good friend of ours has a garden out at her grandparents farm.  Can't for the life of me remember her grandmothers name ( very sweet lady that has problems carrying a radish).  Her grandfather's nickname is "Junior" and he's just a crusty old fart.  I love them both.  He's 88 years old. The stuff that comes out of his mouth just reduces me to tears at the picnic table.  Stuff like "You know, she won't let me feel her tits anymore!".  He has made me blow more iced tea out my nose than I can possible recount.  I love that kind of orneriness.

So, anyway, our friend posts some pictures of the garden on Face Book.  Some of them included some shots of hollyhocks.  That's when the time machine kicked in and the giggling started.  Yeah, 1959.  apparently I can say the word hollyhock but show me a picture of them and I go full blown bat shit crazy.  Again, the time machine.  Once Sea Squirt finally got me up off of the floor and back up into the chair I began to recount the story.  He looked at me with shock on his face.  Something akin to "how many head injuries have you had???".

I am the youngest grandchild on both sides of my family.  So I was "special".  Which didn't have quite the same connotation back then than it does now.  Although, when I think about it, it probably should have. Trust me, I'm short bus from the word go!!! Any who, just off of the back porch was a short white picket fence that was surrounded by hollyhocks on both sides.  These things were a palette of wondrous colors.  I was fascinated by them.  Yeah, I've been gay since the goddess was a small child.  Somehow, and I honestly can't remember how, I figured out that if picked off a full blossom, turned it upside down, stuck a toothpick into it and stuck a bud to the top of it it kind of looked like a female flamingo dancer.  No wait, that should be flamenco dancer. Sorry about that... I would line them up on the top of the fence.  Yep, I'm actually THAT gay.  This memory was so fucking vibrant it hurt.  I was in heaven...

When I was finally able to relate the story to Sea Squirt the look of disbelief  in his eyes was sort of frightening.  And in all honesty, you can't fault him for that one.  I could actually see the gears turning in his head.  And that question...  "Why the hell did I wink at you on Match.com???.  To this day, I ask the same question.

You have to be this old to have this much experience, excitement, craziness, over/under medication and just plain fun.  I would have it no other way.  Hell who wouldn't???

Dance.  Sing.  Go completely nuts.  Hell, ain't a better way to go through life than that...

No comments:

Post a Comment