Saturday, September 4, 2010

What the bloody hell was I thinking????

OK, so yesterday I was up to my tits in tomatoes and happy as hell, right? What a difference a day makes!  I'm not up to my tits in tomatoes, I'm up to by bloody freaking eyebrows in the little motherfuckers!  I was up until after 1 am this morning getting the "first" batch processed.  I was up at 8 am this morning starting on the "second" batch.  It's now 8 pm and I have almost finally finished that one.  The shirt I have been wearing looks like the splatter pattern at a multiple homicide crime scene, I've repeatedly washed more stock pots than I ever knew I had and my stove top looks like I've thrown a pig roast luau without the benefit of either banana leaves or a fire pit. I may  have to have it professionally sandblasted to get it clean.   I'm not only running out of freezer space, I'm running out of space to put another freezer!  And I still have three LARGE bags of the SOB's left to go yet!  My grandmother taught me a great love of tomatoes and an amazing wealth of things to do with them but even she had her limits for these damned things, for Christ's sake!

At about 5 pm (and WELL into the second half of that gallon of Sangria I had made for myself) I just gave up the ghost.  I sank to the kitchen floor, sat on my ass and wept like a baby.  About that time my other half came home and found me there, spatula dripping in hand and singing that 1970's Harry Chapin song, "30,000 Pounds of Bananas" to myself.  Yeah, it was that bad.  It couldn't have been pretty for him to find me like that.  My carpal tunnel was killing me, my already blown rotator cuffs had declared war on me and my lower back had seceded completely from any and all parts of me.  There just ain't enough Mexican aspirin in this casa to make me feel better right now!  And lord knows, I have enough of those things in the medicine cabinet to do an organ transplant with!

The truly sad part?  I've cleaned out an entire drawer of storage containers so far.  In the middle of the afternoon I had to put everything on simmer and dash out to the Dollar Store for some more.  Yeah, picture me behind you in line....  splatter pattern shirt, flip-flops, baseball cap, sun glasses, a cart full of RubberMaid storage containers and a jar of minced garlic.  Can you say Hannible Lecter at harvest time?????  Fava beans and nice dry chianti, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment