Thursday, June 9, 2011

Keep Me In Your Heart For Awhile...

OMG.  Warren Zevon.  What a talent.  What a train wreck.  Tonight I listened to "Keep Me In Your Heart" on the radio.  I cried.  What a beautiful fucking song.  When he recorded it he was dying.   And he knew it.   The lyrics are magnificent.  After years of chemical abuse and a roller-coaster ride of fun he was diagnosed with cancer that had spread across his body.  He somehow managed to salvage his marriage, his family bonds and make peace with all of his demons.  Warren, I salute you!!!

I have all of his recordings.  I have seen him in concert more times than I can count.  In big venues.  Small venues.  With a back-up band and just alone on stage by himself with a guitar.  Dude, you rocked it every time!!!  Thank you for the music!!!  Every note,  every word and every chord was true and straight to the heart...

From "Werewolf's of London", to "Detox Mansion", to "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" to the remake of  "Knocking On Heaven's Door" (which BTW was FUCKING unbelievable!!!) you knew how to make it real.  My god, you just didn't stop until they took you out the door feet first.  But only after what you described as industrial strength doses of morphine from several oncologists had been prescribed.

Again, tonight "Keep Me In Your Heart" brought me to tears.  It always will.  You will be in my heart for more than just awhile.  You will be there forever!!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you for the music...

No comments:

Post a Comment