Sunday, June 26, 2011

Life Is SO Unfair It Hurts!!!

I consider myself blessed.  I have had the great opportunity of having the most deliciously twisted and fun people on the planet take my exit.  I have partied with weirdness,  befriended folks WAY stranger than me (yeah, imagine that)  and witnessed some of the most entertaining public displays of insanity imaginable.  C'mon, you know me.  I'm talking about a moveble feast of craziness here.  I have also had the sad duty of saying goodbye to way to many of them way to early...

His real name is Grant but I know him much more intimately  as "Mama Dolores".   For years he owned "Mama Dolores' Diner" at the top of the hill on Calle Olas Altas in Vallarta.  Our first encounter was stupendous.  It was a Thursday so it was "Thanksgiving Dinner Night" and Mama was in full waitress regalia.  She grabbed me off of the sidewalk, tossed me at an outside table  and barked "Your margarita is almost ready, what do you want, white or dark meat???".   My god, I was entranced, overwhelmed and smitten with her ballsiness.  I willingly let her reel me in like a walleye.  By the end of the evening we had become BFF.  Over the years I got to know Grant.  He was cynical, abrasive, verbally abusive and a great drinking buddy.  Mama was worse.  MUCH worse.  And in that good way that I like...  Some of you may recall that I wrote Mama's bio for the restaurant website.  He laughed so hard it took him 3 days to email me back a thank you.  I was touched by "her" approval.

When I introduced Sea Squirt to Mama seven years ago she hit him like a tsunami.  He was deer in head lights and she was in rare form.  She knew if someone could put up with me then they could probably withstand her  onslaught.  Their connection was immediate.  I giggled.  Sea Squirt had no idea what he was in for.  But still, he loved the abuse...

Three years ago Grant sold "Mama's" and moved onto a new venture on the beach by the Blue Chairs.  It was fabulousity incarnate.  He was so into that place it hurt.  It became his mainstay for charity bingo  and wine tasting nights.  The menu was totally Grant, i.e., tasty as hell, fun and somewhat twisted.  Sea Squirt and I loved it!!!  The menus of both venues are proudly displayed on our kitchen wall.

And then, out of nowhere, Grant was gone from Vallarta and back up in Toronto after more than 15 years in Mexico.  WTF???  He and his longterm partner has split up and he was doing the 40 hour work week thing in  Canada again.  I just can't imagine him with a desk job.  In my mind all I could see was someone trying to put a tutu on an alligator.

Late last fall on Facebook we learned that Grant had just been diagnosed with cancer and was starting chemo immediately.  Since then he has been reserved in his postings.  Oh god, the big "C".  I cannot imagine.  Two days ago he posted that he was leaving the hospital and going to a hospice.  I know all too well what that means.  Later that day while Sea Squirt was gone I broke down.  I cried.  I looked through pictures.  I read her bio again.  Then I cried some more.

Sea Squirt contacted a mutual friend of all of ours in Vallarta, who is now up in Toronto helping to care for him and asked the ultimate question.  Grant has 3 months at most.  Three months???  Three months!!!  WTF???  Grant, you are the last remaining wild card in my deck.  I love you.  I treasure you and your blatant hostility and bitchiness.  You onerey old SOB, I treasure you!!!  You have always warmed what is left of my heart.  I will never let you go!!!

And I thought I had problems...

THIS JUST SUCKS ASS!!!

Travel safe and cut me a path through the jungle ahead of you.   My meanness will follow you...  Giggling and hacking through the underbrush.  'Til we me again, happy trails to you...   Adios, mi amigo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment